ABOUT USMLE STEP3
Step 3 is the final exam in the USMLE series of examinations. It is part of the licensing requirements for Doctors of Medicine (M.D.) and international medical graduates to practice medicine in the United States. The USMLE Step 3 exam is considered the final step in the series of medical licensure examinations. Generally, it is a pre-requisite of the majority of the state licensing boards. USMLE Step 3 tests several concepts that are often required to provide general health care to a patient. USMLE Step 3 is a mandatory exam that must be passed in order to obtain license as a practicing physician. Some International Medical Graduates are required to pass USMLE Step 3 in order to obtain an H1 Visa.
FEATURES OF USMLE STEP3
- Helps in assessing the knowledge and skills of physicians
- Questions prepared by examination committees broadly representing the medical profession
- Consists of multiple choice questions
- Examinee needs to register through a state licensing board
STEP3 EXAM FORMAT
- Basic medical and scientific principles required for healthcare
- Understanding of biostatistics and epidemiology/population health, andinterpretation of the medical literature
- Application of social science like communication and interpersonal skills,patient safety and systems-based practice.
- Also includes diagnosis and management of history and physicalexamination and the use of diagnostic studies.
- Patient management and the growing manifestation of disease over time
- Prognosis & Outcome, health maintenance, screening, therapeutics, and medical decision making
- The test includes multiple choice questions and computer-based.
WHO CAN JOIN THE PROGRAM?
- Obtain the MD degree (or its equivalent) or the DO degree from an LCME- or AOA- Accredited US or Canadian medical school, of from outside US or Canada listed in World Directory of Medical Schools as meeting ECFMG eligibility requirements, AND
- The candidate has to pass Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS